Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reader Question

Dear Girl and A Gift Card,

Why is it that sometimes a coupon you used on Monday at Store X is not honored at the exact same store a couple of days later?

Signed, Frustrated


Dear Frustrated,

That is a very good question, and funny enough I had the same thing happen to me this week. I went to Walgreens a couple days ago and used the current Mars coupon $1.00 off any 2 Valentine's Day products along with the store coupon putting these cute little Snickers Valentine's candies at $.39 each, limit six. I brought six Snickers up to check out with my store coupon and 3 manufacturer's coupons which should have made the purchase free (according to the math). The clerk would only take two coupons as the register would not allow a zero balance. I typically avoid confrontation so I went with it. Today I returned with more manufacturer's coupons and the plan to add enough other product to cover the overage so that the register would allow the transaction and full use of the coupon. The clerk today said the computer would not even take the coupon at all as it did not apply to the cutesy little Snicker's items. I announced that the coupons had worked just fine a couple days ago, but that didn't get me anywhere. Once again, store coupon policies as good to know and it very may well be that some clerks are easier to work with than others. Or perhaps the store caught wind of the idea that people had found some good deals and they weren't prepared for that kind of savings for their customers. Without a proper response from store management it's hard to say, but it's always best to roll with the punches. More often than not a good coupon plan gets shot to pieces when it's actually practiced by the consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment